Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Fam

I never really have enough chance to hang out with my family since I moved to the city to pursue my degree and I am most likely to practice here too. It is undeniable that I do get homesick and I would weep like a baby before I go to sleep because of that. Apart from that, when I am having my monthly PMS, I would get all grumpy and emotional thinking about my family.

There was once, I had a conversation with Thomas and we were discussing about our future when we are parents. (No, we are not getting married anytime soon. We are just discussing about what we will probably do or probably will feel). One of the many questions that arose was what kind of parents are we going to be to our children next time? 

Although we can only say now, but I think I would probably be the doting mom. I would probably be the one spoiling my children. I am pretty sure I am not the conservative kind of parent. I believe in nurturing creative minds. I believe that academics alone is not enough to help you grow as a person. If my kid wants to be an actress, a painter, a singer, or whatever Asian parents think that the particular field has no future, I would probably encourage it. If they are academically talented, then of course I would encourage it but if my kid is not academically talented, I would most certainly not blame my kid and encourage him or her to pursue what he or she likes.

Of course, discipline is a must. I am firm with my principles and I would like my child to be that too. I will definitely let the father be the bad guy. I am not going to be the bad guy. I am the cool mum and the best-friend. LOL!

Now the question is, what if your kid defies you or disappoint you? 

I am not a parent yet, but as a child to my parents, I did some pretty big mistakes myself too. I don't see them disowning me nor throw me out from my home. I have to say, I have great and forgiving parents. They taught me to be compassion, respect and humility. I was once a rebellious kid (we all went through that phase!), but I guess my parents are smart enough to let go of the strings before I went berserk. They set their boundaries and limitations without me realizing they were there! 

But I think to be a parent, one need to be forgiving. The amount of hurtful things I said or did are uncountable. Yet, they forgave me and love me just the way I am. My dad is the crazy dad and my mom is the no nonsense mom. But I think both are forgiving and loving parents. They would always find space in their heart to forgive their children and for that I am thankful.

It irks me to hear stories like parents disowning their children because they haven't been obeying their parents. Parents, your children are not puppets. They have their mind of their own and they have dreams too. Yes, you bring them to the world but they didn't point a gun to your head to ask you to bring them to the world! Your duty is to love, educate and encourage them. Not to make them to be someone you never had a chance to be. 

Children, you parents are not evil, they are just concern and want the best for you. We all went through our rebellious age, but when it is time to say sorry, you say it! When it is time to reconcile you put your damn ego down and do it! Stop being a disrespectful and unappreciative *beep*.

Anyhow, I just want to dedicate this post to my parents and would like them to know how much I appreciate them and love them and how thankful I am to them for the opportunities that they showered me. 



The family in Phuket


When it was LONG LONG time ago



When the parents were in Chiang Mai





No comments:

Post a Comment