Monday, September 30, 2013

What the *Beep*

I dread the times when I have to open up my Facebook because everytime, without fail, there would be some absurd articles shared among my friends. One of the articles I stumbled upon was where a raped victim was punished with beatings while her rapists were sentenced to serve a substantial years of jail time.

My question is, why is the raped victim even given 200 lashes as punishment? What justice is Syariah Law trying to prove here? The fact that she was sitting in an automobile with a non-relative, she was sentenced to 90 lashes. What sort of absurdity is this? I know many of us, in our minds will think "Maksiat lah tu" but let me ask you this, can sitting in an automobile with a non-relative even qualify as "maksiat" (immoral)? 

It saddens me to know that women are still rather oppressed in certain societies and countries.In this article, it seems to portray a message that "If a girl is raped and loses her virginity, she is deemed as dirty. Thus, she must be punished". Let me tell you this, a girl's virginity is not GOLD! Who gives you the right to say one is clean or dirty? If she is dirty, don't you think the rapists would even be dirtier? Don't you think they deserve to be castrated since they cannot control their desires?

I believe women today have proven that we deserve the same amount of respect that men give each other. No doubt women are generally more emotional, revengeful and weak in physical, but that does not mean that women should be treated any lesser that men. I do not and would not deny that I am a feminist simply because I am sick of reading news about child marriage, rape victims being blamed and punished. I am sick of looking at how men treat their wives without respect in public. I am also sick of witnessing women succumb to their "fate". Women are no object or some prize you put on the rack to be shown off. You men would not even be here without your mothers' womb. 

I am so disgusted with the laws that some religions uphold ever so faithfully and they are so blinded that certain rules are so oppressive and unfair. If you do not sin yourself, then be the first to cast the stone. Who are these religious appointee to set those absurd rules? I am angry and disappointed that even today, after all the modernization that we went through, we are still caught in the web of absurdity when it comes to religion and morality. At first, religions were used to govern the people so that they would behave and to instill fear. Now, I would like to think that the society has evolved and we know that rules are set to fight for justice and to protect one's liberty. Rules are not suppose to be set to oppress or embarrass.  

I hope no one is offended as I am not targeting any religious group in particular. But I urge you to think whether are they certain absurd rules that your religion practices and should they even  exist today? Are those rules jeopardizing your liberties, your rights and your freedom? If yes, then why didn't you question it? If you are prosecuted for being inquisitive, then the religion is not God, and God is not the religion because God is ever loving and forgiving. He will never subject you to such foolish set of rules. 

It would be different if those set of rules are to uphold tradition. What I am focusing is not on the rules which involve tradition but rules which endanger your liberties.  


No comments:

Post a Comment